Projects and Initiatives
- The platform for grid and large-scale distributed
computing amongst multiple independent organizations.
The platform organizes periodic events (DutchGrid Days)
to foster collaboration amongst researchers and end-users
in the Netherlands.
- DutchGrid Certification
- The DutchGrid CA provides authentication services to the DutchGrid
community. Go here to apply for X.509 certificates for "Globus"
and grid use. The DutchGrid CA serves the Dutch Grid research
- DutchGrid Events
- Many Grid-related events are organised by
GridForum Nederland, the
Virtual Laboratory for e-Science
and the DutchGrid Platform. Tutorials, admin events, etc. are
open for Grid enthousiasts in the Netherlands.
- The EU DataGrid project
- DataGrid is a project funded by European Union. The
objective is to enable next generation scientific exploration
which requires intensive computation and analysis of shared
large-scale data sets, from hundreds of TeraBytes to
PetaBytes, across widely distributed scientific communities.
Local workgroups of the DataGrid
project maintain their information repository
- EU DataTAG
- The DataTAG project is there to create a large-scale intercontinental
testbed for data-intensive Grids. Focus is on networking and
interoperability. The University of Amsterdam IvI AIR group
- The vision of the EGEE Integrated Infrastructure Initiative (III)
is to create and deploy Grid technologies to enable the widespread
uptake of e-Science applications throughout the European Research Area.
- ICES/KIS Virtual Lab (VLAM-G)
- The Virtual Lab (an ICES/KIS 2 WTCW project) builds a collaborative
analysis environment for applied experimental science. It was the
first to build a user-oriented grid infrastructure in the Netherlands.
- NCF Grid Investment Project
- The National Computer Facilities
Foundation (NCF) supports Grid development and deployment
in the Netherlands through their "Grid investment Project".
Project partners include SARA,
- A Road Towards Industrial-grade Security for Grid.
- Dynamic Authorisation for Grids, Groups and Resources. In this
project (when approved) for four key concepts for interoperation
are addressed: credential management, managing authorisation
attributes, taking the authorisation decisions, and the enforcement
thereof. A fifth task addresses the specifics of federating
multiple 'ad-hoc' virtual organisations in order to give a
user-centric view on the entire Grid.
- The Virtual Laboratory
for E-Science (VL-E)
- The proposed VL-E project will develop the necessary knowledge
for the E-Science infrastructure in the Netherlands.
- Other projects
- A multitude of other Grid and Grid-related projects exists
world-wide. A list of references is provided for further